Sunday, April 12, 2009

Suggestions needed


Linken went to Wednesday to the doctor for his 6 month check-up and shots. Good news is that he is a healthy and very happy baby. Bad news is that he has lost weight since his 4 month check up. In February he was 13lbs 6oz and 24 5/8 inches long. He is now 12lbs 14oz and 26 inches long. He nurses 6 times/day (3-3.5 hour schedule) and has rice cereal 2 times/day and veggie or fruit puree once a day. He has 2 wet diapers per feeding and empties both breasts at each feeding.

In February, I completely changed my eating habits. I became a vegan (no animal products including dairy and eggs) eliminated all refined sugars and eat organic foods. I take a vitamin B12 and multi-vitamin supplement. I am eating over 2000 calories/day. I have lost 15lbs but it seems that Linken is losing weight as well. The doctor says that my new lifestyle is healthy and good for both Linken and I but may have lowered the caloric value of my milk because I am not consuming animal fat.

Linken sees the doctor again on the 29th of this month to check his weight again. If he hasn't gained any weight or has lost more weight then the doctor will do some blood tests and other tests just to make sure we haven't missed anything.

Does anyone know any other vegan or vegetarian mothers?
Any thoughts or suggestions?

6 comments:

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

I am obvi not breast feeding but I found this link:

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul97p69.html

Good luck!

And holy hell 15 pounds! Go you!!

About us . . . said...

Holy Meyham! i need to do this diet. I know nothing about the "situation" you are having but I would advise adding protein shake mix to some of your drinks. Or if it is fat you need. Maybe up the avacado and olives intake. They have tons of the "healthy fat." Good luck! I hope this kinda helps.
Linken sure has quite the appetite.

Josh, Hayley, and Baby Channing said...

HOLY SELF CONTROL!! What do you eat besides veggies and fruit!! YOU ARE CRAZY! :)

Liza Jane said...

Good luck! With both my boys, my milk supply dries up around 3 or 4 months (I was totally shocked as I nursed a ton and ate enough). Have you tried pumping for 24 hours to see how much you produce? Babes should get at least 24 ounces. I had to start supplementing formula for both boys, but if you do that be sure to nurse first or else you can totally dry up.

Troy, Tami, Linken and Pierson said...

Liza,
How did you transition your boys to a bottle? Linken took a bottle without a fight when I was in school in Hawaii but since moving to Oregon and being with him 24/7 he refuses the bottle. He just chews on it and then spits raspberries spitting out the milk (mine and formula).

Matt said...

no comment on the topic however i gotta know why you went vegan? how do you like it? finding it hard still or have you passed the cravings stage yet? just curious